Welcome to the Galaxial development log for March!
Early Access Thoughts
My plan all along had always been to release the game only when it was completely finished, so as to perfect everything before it is played for the first time.
However... recently I have been thinking it may be more suitable to use an early access development model, due to the size of the game, the time it is taking to develop and also to provide some extra feedback during development.
Tentative features for the first early access release
I have made a list of the minimum amount of features that I would be prepared to release the first early access version of the game with. Most of the items on the list are near complete or at least half way done.
- Random galaxy generation
- Planets, asteroids and trade resources
- At least one playable faction
- Basic empire management
- Population management and migration
- Colony buildings
- Asteroid mining
- Ship design, production and reserves stockpile
- Essential ship modules, ship hulls and research projects
- Galaxy exploration and jumpgate travel
- Ship AI and combat
- Fleet hierarchy and orders
- Pirate faction
I don’t have a definite time frame for when the first early access version will be yet, and of course some features may change or additional things added depending on how things go.
Features that will be added gradually afterwards
- Computer factions and high level AI
- Diplomacy, wars and trading
- Planetary invasions
- Fighters and carrier ship types
- Fleet hierarchy leader characters
- More races, factions, research projects, ship and module types
- More TBD…