What is this game?
Galaxial is a 2D grand strategy game (4X) set in space. It features a sandbox mode allowing the player to explore, colonize and conquer planets in vast randomly generated galaxies.
What features will the game have?
The features include:
- Thousands of ships and many hundreds of colonizable planets in a single game.
- Colonize new planets with each type of world having unique strategic bonuses.
- Explore the galaxy to discover valuable planets and asteroid resources.
- Mine resources from asteroids to build planetary facilities and new spaceships.
- Protect your empire from enemy factions and raiding pirates.
- Diplomacy system to form relations or declare war with other factions.
- Take manual control of any of your own ships.
- Assign ships to squadrons and task forces, allowing them to fly in formation and work together to deal with threats.
- Hundreds of individual ship modules including various weapon types, electronic warfare, shield/armor repair and propulsion upgrades to specialize each ship and enhance their abilities.
- Research new technology to unlock new ship designs, modules and empire wide bonuses.
- Customizable ship, engine trail and turret colors to make your ships look unique.
- Full modding support for user made ships, weapons, items, factions, colonies and research.
- The main resource for building is metals, which are mined from asteroids. This asteroid ore must be processed at a refinery before they become useful to build with. Wreckage from destroyed ships can be salvaged using specialized ships for extra metal resources.
- Credits are needed for doing most things in the game and are accumulated from high population colonies. Colonies require enough food to grow.
- Research data is needed to build the most advanced ships and modules.
- Ships will also require crew and in some cases troops, which both need to be trained.
Multiplayer is not planned at this stage. All my effort is focused on creating a great single-player game.
Which games inspired you to make this?
EVE Online, X3, Sins of a Solar Empire, Total Annihilation, Europa Universalis
Will it be moddable?
Yes. Most things in the game can be added or modified very easily using XML files.
How many people are working on this game?
How long have you been developing this game?
Since January 2012. Working on the game part-time for much of that.
What platforms are you going to release for?
Windows. I would like to port the game to Linux and Mac after the initial release if possible.
How do you develop this game?
Everything is programmed in C++ using my own OpenGL based engine. Third party libraries I use include:
- Parallel Patterns Library (concurrency)
- FreeType (fonts)
- LibPNG (images)
- Expat (XML parser)
- OpenAL (audio)
- LibOGG/Vorbis (audio files)
What will the minimum system requirements be?
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
Dual core CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon64 X2)
2 GB RAM
256 MB dedicated video RAM
2048 x 2048 maximum texture size.
OpenGL 2.0 compatibility
Hard Drive ~500MB
1280 x 720 Minimum display resolution
Quad core CPU
512 MB dedicated video RAM
I regularly test the game on a fairly old system: AMD Phenom X4 9950 (4 core), Geforce GTX 260, 2GB RAM
Anything close to this should run the game perfectly with hundreds of planets and many thousands of ships.
How will it be distributed?
I would like to distribute the game via Steam and directly from the games own website. Possibly through some other digital distribution sites as well.
Will there be DRM in any shape or form?
Absolutely not, if you buy through the games website.
When will it be released?
I am aiming for a late 2015 release. I hope to have a beta (release candidate/pre-order) version ready shortly before the full release, but I don't have an estimate for when this will be yet.
Will the game be free?
How much will the game cost?
I don't know exactly yet. Probably somewhere in the $20 / €20 / £15 region.