This month I have been adding all of the various ship roles. These give specialized bonuses to its ship designs, but each role is limited to certain ship hull classes. When choosing your fleet/squadron compositions in the game, you only decide which ship roles to use, and there can be many ship designs in each one.
Examples of ship role names include:
- Missile Destroyer
- Assault Ship
- Command Cruiser
- Heavy Assault Ship
- Large/Medium/Small Miner
- Colony Ship
- Passenger Transport
- and many more...
There are much more ship roles than ship hull classes.
- The Scout role can use Destroyer, Light Cruiser or Heavy Cruiser class ship hulls.
- The Assault Ship role can use Destroyer or Light Cruiser class ship hulls.
- The Destroyer role can only use Destroyer class ship hulls.
- The Heavy Assault Ship role can use Heavy Cruiser or Battlecruiser ship hulls.
There are currently 8 different ship roles which can use Destroyer class ship hulls, and 16 that can use Light Cruisers.
Armour has been added as a defense mechanic for mitigating hull damage. Armour will be most effective at protecting against small hits. The damage reduction is currently capped at 90%.
- To prevent 50% of damage, you need Armour 1 times the damage
- To prevent 75% of damage, you need Armour 3 times the damage
- To prevent 90% of damage, you need Armour 9 times the damage
Weapons also have new effect modifiers for Armour Penetration and Bonus Shield Damage
Advanced Ship Hulls
Each ship hull will now also have an 'Advanced' version. (I'm not sure what the name will be for these yet...) The graphics will look mostly the same but are slightly modified and darker than the standard version. They have better stats, more specialized bonuses and cost a lot more to build.