DevLog: March 2017 - Early Access Plans

Official news, announcements and development updates.
StuartMorgan
Developer

DevLog: March 2017 - Early Access Plans

Post #1 »

Welcome to the Galaxial development log for March!

Early Access Thoughts

My plan all along had always been to release the game only when it was completely finished, so as to perfect everything before it is played for the first time.

However... recently I have been thinking it may be more suitable to use an early access development model, due to the size of the game, the time it is taking to develop and also to provide some extra feedback during development.

Tentative features for the first early access release

I have made a list of the minimum amount of features that I would be prepared to release the first early access version of the game with. Most of the items on the list are near complete or at least half way done.
  • Random galaxy generation
  • Planets, asteroids and trade resources
  • At least one playable faction
  • Colonisation
  • Basic empire management
  • Population management and migration
  • Colony buildings
  • Asteroid mining
  • Research
  • Ship design, production and reserves stockpile
  • Essential ship modules, ship hulls and research projects
  • Galaxy exploration and jumpgate travel
  • Ship AI and combat
  • Fleet hierarchy and orders
  • Pirate faction
I think this would provide enough gameplay and most importantly replayability to begin with, allowing players to build up huge empires in a mostly unpopulated galaxy. Computer factions will come later in development when they are completely ready. The pirate factions will be there to provide some threat and encounters, and to see how ship battles work.

I don’t have a definite time frame for when the first early access version will be yet, and of course some features may change or additional things added depending on how things go.

Features that will be added gradually afterwards
  • Computer factions and high level AI
  • Diplomacy, wars and trading
  • Planetary invasions
  • Fighters and carrier ship types
  • Fleet hierarchy leader characters
  • More races, factions, research projects, ship and module types
  • Salvaging
  • Revolts
  • More TBD…
Once the first early access version is released, development will continue for a long time afterwards. All of the remaining features will be added (assuming they don’t need to be significantly redesigned at some point) plus everything extra I have planned for Galaxial.

DevildogFF

Re: DevLog: March 2017

Post #2 »

I really thought this game was dead. I don't think your programming speed is ideal for EA. People expect regular updates and progress being made. I think you're better off just finishing this whenever you finish and releasing.

What's taking so long, anyway? Feature creep?

StuartMorgan
Developer

Post #3 »

What's taking so long, anyway?
Mainly because I have been working on the game part-time, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford living costs.
Early access (if it does happen) will mean it becomes full time and my only focus.
People expect regular updates and progress being made.
Once all the features in the first list were complete, I don't think I would have any problem with frequent (at least monthly) updates to finish the rest and expand upon.

DevildogFF

Post #4 »

Then the sooner, the better ;)

Put it on EA and I'll buy it. If it's as good as it looks, I'll happily spread the word.

TuriusRay

Post #5 »

I say the same as the guy above me :lol:

Horgrim

Post #6 »

Same as above :D

Dan

Post #7 »

Yep. Just follow your passion mate and stop doing this part-time... go balls deep and you will be rewarded, I am sure that if you release this you won't need any other job to sustain you.

Sharaak

Post #8 »

Honestly fella I have been following you from the very start and I have to say you have developed what looks to be one cracking game. I really do think that if you put this on Early Access your career and future will be fulfilled. Great Job. Looking forward to losing time on this one :)

Geach

Post #9 »

any chance in the next log to show some more on the economy and show how resources are gained?

StuartMorgan
Developer

Post #10 »

Geach wrote:any chance in the next log to show some more on the economy and show how resources are gained?
Sorry, that will have to wait until a future log. The economy and resources are being tested and continually improved upon, so there are still a few things that could change with the way it works.

Geaxle

Re: DevLog: March 2017 - Early Access Plans

Post #11 »

Any news on the early access plans?

I would be very interested to participate on this project in any ways possible. Financially, bug hunting, feedback giving... :)

I have been following the project for years and am super happy it is still going on.

The game looks really awesome and as a fellow game dev it has been an inspiration for me to work on my own side projects. Keep up the good work.

StuartMorgan
Developer

Post #12 »

Geaxle wrote:Any news on the early access plans?

I would be very interested to participate on this project in any ways possible. Financially, bug hunting, feedback giving... :)

I have been following the project for years and am super happy it is still going on.

The game looks really awesome and as a fellow game dev it has been an inspiration for me to work on my own side projects. Keep up the good work.
Hi, thank you very much! I'm glad you like the look of it :)

No news yet, but I'm making good progress and currently working through the list in the first post. I would like to have most of the 'fun' and important gameplay features finished before the first early access version is released and opened up for participation.

Cornflakes_91

Post #13 »

to be fair i had a lot of entertainment already that would definitely fill my 1buck/hour of entertainment treshhold for "not a bad expense" with galaxial (-Development updates) to make it worthwhile to pay some EA price.
sooo...

gremrod

Post #14 »

I vote for EA! :)

Modest

Post #15 »

Mainly because I have been working on the game part-time, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford living costs.
Early access (if it does happen) will mean it becomes full time and my only focus.
As much as I do encourage you to go with Early Acces (important point to note - I do not know how agreement looks betwen game developer and steam, so there is plenty that I simply do not know here), I strongly suggest that you won't make plans such as above.

You can not assume blindly that revenue from buyers will be good eoungh for you to stop any other earning activity. Better play it safe, and do not make risky decisions without making sure that risk is somewhat limited and that there is PLAN B just in case.

Those were just my 2 cents. Having said that... I am looking foward to seeing this game in action and I honestly think and hope that it will be succesfull from first moments of EA (not to mention amount of feedback that you will be able to collect!).