DevLog: February 2017 - Graphics Rendering

Official news, announcements and development updates.
StuartMorgan
Developer

DevLog: February 2017 - Graphics Rendering

Post#1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Welcome to the Galaxial development log for February!

• Graphics rendering has been completely overhauled.
Throughout the development of Galaxial, optimizing graphics rendering has been very difficult and complicated. This is because the game has very few opaque/non-alpha masked objects. (The z-buffer doesn't work well for transparent polygons)

Previously all of the object graphics (asteroids, ships, particles etc.) were rendered back-to-front (Painters algorithm) with orthographic projection. Batching objects of the same sort and rendering them all in one go wasn't possible, and as a result there were a lot of draw calls/state changes.

After a lot of experimentation the game is now finally able to take advantage of z-buffering, alpha-to-coverage multi sampling and batching. This has boosted rendering performance by about 500-1000%

• Perspective projection instead of orthographic
In the video you can now see how the smaller asteroids seem a lot closer as the camera pans past them (they move a lot more), rather than all appearing to be at the same depth.

• FMOD Audio
Voice limiting is working really well. Thousands of sound effects can be played at once, but only the most audible or with the highest priority are heard.

Dan

Re: DevLog: February 2017

Post#2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Nice, thanks for the update and video! Keep them coming!

Glad to hear about those graphix improvements. Looks like we are getting closer to a finished game! :D

Geach

Post#3 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 pm

I like the addition of the distance of asteroids so it seems like a real field.

TuriusRay

Post#4 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm sorry Stuart but I'm more excited about what I readed on youtube than what this post says.

[Stuart]Currently looking into the idea of early access, rather than the planned "release only when its finished". The exact price tag hasn't been decided yet, but I would have thought no more than about $20-25.[/Stuart]

TAKE MY MONEY!

Return to “Announcements”